FARE : www.foodallergy.org
What’s scarier than Ghouls and Goblins at Halloween? A candy basket, can be, when you or your little monster has a potentially fatal food allergy. Something as simple a candy wrapper that slightly open amid a bowl full of treats is a trick no parent of a child with a food allergy wants his child to come into contact with.
That’s why the Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE), created The Teal Pumpkin Project in 2014, a national campaign that aims to raise awareness of food allergies and promote inclusion of all trick-or-treaters throughout the Halloween season. The Teal Pumpkin Project encourages you to join the more than 100-thousand households across the U.S. in providing non-food treats for trick-or-treaters and paint a pumpkin teal to place in front of your home, along with a free printable sign.
Our team at Advanced Allergy began to prepare for The Teal Pumpkin Project and thought, “What if…”
- What if … teal pumpkins were easier to find or buy
- What if … kids became involved in the Teal Pumpkin Project movement fostering compassion for and better understanding of living with a food allergy
- What if … we were to bring together the San Antonio and surrounding communities to help grow awareness of this newer campaign
Dr. Dinger, several of her young patients with food allergies, and staff will have tables available where the public is invited to Paint-A-Pumpkin-Teal! Don’t have time? Then grab a pre-painted pumpkin to go! Our wonderful partners at H-E-B are throwing their support behind The Teal Pumpkin Project, supplying pumpkins for the painting. We encourage you to stop by and see us at any of the following Paint-A-Pumpkin-Teal events:
- THURSDAY, OCT. 15 & 22 5-8 PM SCHERTZ 3-DOUBLE-O-NINE H-E-B
- SUNDAY, OCT. 18 2-5 PM VILLAGE AT STONE OAK (next to Starbucks)
- SUNDAY, OCT. 25 12 – 3 PM THE MARKET AT STONE OAK HEB (Wilderness Oak)
Wondering what makes a good non-food treat? Here are some great ideas from FARE!
- Glow sticks, bracelets, or necklaces
- Pencils, pens, crayons or markers
- Whistles, kazoos, or noisemakers
- Bouncy balls
- Spider rings
From all of us at Advanced Allergy, we thank you in advance for your support of FARE, The Teal Pumpkin Project, and our Paint-A-Pumpkin-Teal Event.